Submission deadline: Wednesday, August 7, 2013
National Center for Student Leadership - NCSL calls on student affairs professionals, leadership educators, leadership consultants, and others who are experts in their field to propose conference sessions that will offer vital leadership skills and strategies to college student leaders and campus professionals. NCSL is currently accepting workshop proposals for the spring 2014 conference.
Submit your proposal using our online submission form by clicking here.
National Center for Student Leadership - NCSL equips collegiate student leaders and their advisors with comprehensive tools to achieve their leadership potential and positively impact their campuses and communities through practical, focused training and opportunities to collaborate with other student leaders.
For thirty-five years, NCSL conferences have been bringing together collegiate student leaders and campus professionals from across the nation and around the world. The NCSL conferences, held every spring and fall, feature a blend of keynote speakers and workshops focused on leadership enhancement and student affairs issues. Participants come sharing common goals of enhancing their leadership knowledge and abilities to make a positive impact on student life at their campuses, and to make a difference in their communities. More than 1,200 students from over 200 colleges and universities will attend an NCSL conference this year.
Students make up approximately 80 percent of our conference attendees, with the remaining 20 percent of participants being professional staff. The students in attendance are leaders at their college or university, often involved in student government, campus activities board, or other extracurricular organizations.
Following participation in a National Center for Student Leadership - NCSL conference, attendees should be able to fulfill one or more of the following:
National Center for Student Leadership workshops are 75 minutes in length and take place on the second and third days of the NCSL conference. Workshops are required to be interactive and well-prepared. Workshops generally fall into four programming tracks with a focus on: 1) the individual, 2) group development, 3) community involvement, or 4) professional development (for collegiate staff). Sample topics include: communication, accountability, collaboration, conflict management, delegation, effective meetings, ethics in leadership, event planning, fundraising, leadership transitions, goal setting, team building, life after college—including resume writing and interviewing skills, marketing, motivation, problem solving, professional polish, public relations, public speaking, servant leadership, stress management, time management, and more.
For each workshop submission, you’ll need to provide the title, description, a minimum of three learning outcomes, and keywords that highlight the essence of the session. Workshop descriptions (not including learning outcomes and keywords) and bios should be from 100 to 150 words in length.
National Center for Student Leadership offers 3-6 keynote opportunities per conference. Keynote presentations are generally 60 minutes in length. Keynote presenters are selected from the pool of individuals who have presented workshops at NCSL conferences in the past. To be considered as a possible keynote presenter, you must first present workshops at an NCSL conference.
All accepted presenters will receive a free conference registration. Additional compensation is dependent upon the presenter’s past experience with NCSL and the number of workshops a presenter is facilitating.
Proposals will be assessed and rated on relevance, presenter experience, level of interactivity, and topic relevance. Presenters should be dynamic and engaging. We look for presenters that offer logical strategies and tools that can be implemented on campus.